What Is Implant Dentistry?
All of the teeth in your mouth are vital to everyday activities such as eating, drinking and talking. When one of your teeth is missing or decayed, it can have a real effect on your mouth functionality as well as your overall appearance. Implant dentistry is a procedure that provides high quality, functioning tooth replacements. You won’t have to worry about your appearance or if your artificial teeth will slip and slide around your mouth.
Losing a tooth can happen to anyone. Some people may have weaker or decaying teeth that require removal. Or tooth loss may occur due to an accident or sports injury. There are many reasons why someone may lose a tooth and require implants, including:
- Tooth decay
In the past and in some dental situations today, the only way to replace a missing tooth was through the use of dentures or bridges. Luckily, dental technology continues to make advances every year. Dental implants are one of these fast growing advancements.
Dental implants are replacement tooth roots that are inserted into the jawbone so that it can fuse with your natural bone to provide a strong foundation for artificial teeth. The tooth replacements are made to match your natural tooth so that they blend in with your natural teeth and will be unnoticeable to others. Implants are also long lasting and durable as the new root and teeth are surgically placed and anchored into the upper or lower jawbone.
What are the Advantages?
There are many advantages to dental implants over other tooth replacement methods including:
- Appearance. Dental implants blend into your natural teeth. They won’t stand out or be noticeable.
- Speech. Poor-fitting dentures or missing teeth will cause your speech to be slurred or mumbled. Implants will allow you to speak naturally and clearly.
- Comfort. Because they become a part of your mouth, they will be comfortable and you won’t notice them unlike removable dentures that are constantly being taken in and out of your mouth.
- Improved oral health. Because implants don’t require altering other teeth, more of your own teeth are left intact which improves your long-term oral health. Implants allow for easier access between teeth for flossing and brushing.
- Durable. Implants are durable and last for years.
- Convenience. Because they are permanent and fixed you won't need to worry about removing anything for eating or sleeping as you would with dentures.
Before getting dental implants, you will need to consult with a dentist to ensure your gums and surrounding teeth are healthy enough and you have the adequate bone structure. You will also need to commit to keeping up with a sound oral hygiene routine in order to maintain your dental implants and keep them healthy and effective. Dental implants require the same care as your natural teeth including brushing, flossing, rinsing with mouthwash and regular dental checkups.
Dr. William Daily, DDS earned his bachelor of science degree at James Madison University in 2004, and went on to graduate with honors from the world’s first dental school, the University of Maryland. He continued on to the University of Florida, and extended his training at a residency program in general dentistry. With a passion for continuing education, Dr. Daily has trained at some of the nation’s leading institutions including the Dawson Academy and Pankey Institute. He has focused his training and experience in many complex dental procedures including: dental implant placement, bone grafting, wisdom tooth and surgical extractions, root canals, oral and IV sedation, and full mouth reconstruction. He has since earned fellowships from both the International Congress of Oral Implantology (FICOI), as well as the Academy of General Dentistry (FAGD).
Williams, Daily & Frazier Dental is a family and cosmetic dentist in Raleigh, NC with a dedicated team of dentists, assistants, hygienists and administrators who are enthusiastic in their commitment to
their patients. We offer dental implants, Invisalign teeth straightening, in-office and home teeth whitening options, and Oral-B electric toothbrushes.
Contact Williams, Daily & Frazier at (919) 846-9070 for more information and to schedule an appointment today.