Who Is a Good Candidate for Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers can change your smile! If your teeth are damaged, stained, broken, too small, or unusually worn, dental veneers can restore your teeth and help improve your confidence in your smile. Knowing what dental veneers are, the benefits of dental veneers, and who is a good candidate for veneers can help you decide if this type of dental tool is right for you.
What are Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers are a wafer-thin cover for damaged teeth. Unlike crowns, veneers do not cover the entire tooth - they are only attached to the outside of the tooth. Dental veneers hide the original tooth underneath, giving the appearance that the teeth are normal and healthy.
You May Be a Candidate for Dental Veneers If...
So, who is a good candidate for dental veneers? You may be a good candidate if you have any of the following goals:
- You'd like to whiten your severely discolored teeth. People who have severely stained or discolored teeth often turn to dental veneers as a way to quickly and efficiently improve the appearance of their teeth. Whereas tooth whitening can take weeks or months, dental veneers improve the appearance of your teeth almost right away.
- You'd like to fix minor imperfections. Veneers can be used to cover cracks, chips, and misshapen teeth. This is true whether several of your teeth have imperfections or just one.
- You'd like to fix several cosmetic issues all at once. Veneers can be used to make your teeth look beautiful and perfect, even if your teeth suffer from various cosmetic challenges, including cracks, stains, and so on.
Dental Veneers Work Best For People Who...
Dental veneers work best for people who meet certain qualifications. Before recommending dental veneers for your teeth, your dentist will check for the following:
- Healthy teeth and gums. Healthy teeth and gums are a requirement for anyone getting dental veneers. If you have struggled with maintaining healthy teeth and gums in the past, your dentist may focus first on improving your oral hygiene before installing dental veneers.
- Sufficient enamel present. Since dental veneers must attach to the enamel on your teeth, there must be adequate enamel for the dental veneers to stay in place.
- Straight (or moderately straight) teeth. Teeth must be straight enough to attach to the dental veneer properly.
- No nail chewing. If you chew on your nails, you're likely to break your dental veneers. If you have a habit of chewing your nails, your dentist may ask you to stop your habit before veneers can be installed.
- Do not suffer from teeth grinding. Teeth grinding is another habit that can damage your veneers. If you suffer from bruxism, this could disqualify you as a candidate for veneers. Your dentist will let you know if this is the case.
- Practice good oral hygiene. People who get dental veneers should practice good oral hygiene, including brushing their teeth twice daily, flossing, and seeing the dentist twice per year.
Think You Could Benefit from Dental Veneers? Talk to Your Dentist
Are your teeth badly stained, cracked, or chipped? If so, then you may be a good candidate for dental veneers. This helpful dental tool can help restore your confidence in your smile. Find out if you are a great candidate for dental veneers by visiting Williams, Daily, and Frazier Dental in Raleigh, NC. We're the Triangle’s restorative dentistry experts.
Williams, Daily & Frazier Dental is a family and cosmetic dentist located in North Raleigh, NC with a team of dedicated dentists enthusiastic in their commitment to
their patients. We offer dental implants, Invisalign teeth straightening, in-office and home teeth whitening options, and Oral-B electric toothbrushes.
Contact Williams, Daily & Frazier at (919) 846-9070 for more information and to schedule an appointment today.